25Jul/117

Let’s Take It Back To ’79 (mix)

Our homie Sigma just blessed us with this incredible mix:

This is a mix of hip-hop tracks that were all released in 1979, although there may be some debate over the year of release of one or two of these songs. This is a proper mix, not just a compilation of tracks.

Don’t expect pristine sound quality throughout!

After the jump: download link, tracklisting, and run down of the album art for each file (must be seen to be believed.)

.:. DOWNLOAD (SPLIT INTO SEPARATE TRACKS) .:.   – re-upped 6/23/12

.:. DOWNLOAD (ONE LONG MP3) .:.  – re-upped 6/23/12

01 – Imhotep Gary Byrd – 79 Intro
02 – Family – Family Rap
03 – Spoonie Gee – Spoonin Rap
04 – Scoopy – Scoopy Rap
05 – The Sequence – Funk You Up
06 – Troy Rainey – Tricky Tee Rap
07 – Dr. Love & Sister Love – Doctor Love & Sister Love Rap
08 – Paulett & Tanya Winley – Rhymin’ & Rappin’
09 – Willie Wood & Willie Wood Crew – Willie Rap
10 – David Lampell – I Ran Iran
11 – Steve Gordon & The Kosher Five – Take My Rap… Please
12 – The Younger Generation – We Rap More Mellow
13 – Sugarhill Gang – Rapper’s Delight
14 – Xanadu & Sweet Lady – Rappers Delight
15 – Sicle Cell & Rhapazooty – Rhapazooty In Blue
16 – Kurtis Blow – Christmas Rappin’
17 – Funky Four Plus One More – Rappin & Rocking The House
18 – P.J. LaBoy – Baya Latinos
19 – Funky Constellation – Street Talk (Madam Rapper)
20 – T.J. Swan – And You Know That
21 – Lady B – To The Beat Y’all
22 – Dr. Superman & Lady Sweet – Can You Do It (Superman)
23 – Lady D – Lady D
24 – M.C. Tee – Nu-Sounds
25 – Ron Hunt – Spiderap
26 – Ronnie G. & The S.M. Crew – A Corona Jam
27 – Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five – Superappin’
28 – First Class – Rappin It Up
29 – Jocko – Rhythm Talk
30 – Mr. Q. – D.J. Style
31 – Wackie’s Disco Rock Band – Wack Rap
32 – Joe Bataan – Rap-O Clap-O
33 – Fatback – King Tim III (Personality Jock)
34 – Neil “B” – Body Rock
35 – Bramsam – Move Your Body
36 – Eddie Cheba – Lookin’ Good (Shake Your Body)
37 – Uno – Boogie Beat
38 – Jazzy 4 MC’s – MC Rock
39 – Little Starsky – Gangster Rock
40 – Grandmaster Flash – 79 Outro
41 – Sigma – Dedication

[click for larger image]

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “Let’s Take It Back To ’79 (mix)”

1. Bobby says:

2. POP KILL says:

Dope shit 4 sure..

3. Sigma says:

Thanks for posting this here, and thanks to anyone that listens!

4. Sigma says:

“That Jocko song is so underrated. Can’t believe the Ego Trip book ’79 list didn’t include that.”

I didn’t see this comment earlier. To me personally, the Jocko track is the worst of the lot. I hate the recreation of “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now” and as for Jocko’s rhyming, well – the less said about that, the better. Obviously, it’s a matter of opinion, but I think there’s a reason why you can buy an OG copy of that tune on vinyl for $3, haha.

Ego Trip lists some of these tunes as 1980 or even 1981 in one or two cases, while Discogs (and the record labels) say 1979. I spoke to some other old school hip-hop heads that disagreed with Ego Trip’s list before I made this mix, but don’t take the track listing here as confirmation that these tunes are all 79, cos they may not be. I don’t claim to be an expert on this matter at all, but if some tunes are 80 or even 81, then so be it.

My aim was to make a mix of every track released in 79 (or suspected to be), but I didn’t quite achieve that. There are 2 or 3 tunes that I didn’t have and couldn’t get without spending crazy cash.

re-upped. Great mix/comp Sigma, thanks! I was just giving this another listen, perfect for a hot summer day.

6. Wow you definitely took me back with this list. There are songs in your list that I forgot all about. Thanks for posting.

Add Comment Register