3May/1116

Revisiting: Lords Of The Underground – Keepers of the Funk

From the moment I heard “Tic Toc” I was ready for the next Lords of the Underground album. After a breakthrough effort on their debut the Lords were back to work quick with the same production team of Marley Marl and K-Def to put together their sophomore album, Keepers of the Funk. The lead-off single was a little calmer than the hyped up “Chief Rocka” sound we were used to, but it was still that in-your-face delivery over funky production. However, when the album finally dropped I felt a sense of disappointment. Clearly the general public felt the same as the effort failed to keep their 15 minutes going, but was the album really that bad or did I just not give it a fair chance?

Turns out it’s actually really good. Keepers of the Funk is shorter than their first album but it found the Lords returning to the gutter boom bap production with shouted staccato vocals formula all while displaying a maturity found in tackling subjects more than just “the funk” like discussing their goals on  “What I’m After,” and the requirement of “Faith” in one’s life.

Perhaps it was the west coast takeover. In 1994 the G-funk era completely ran hip hop, with the Death Row Records catalog being played on every radio station across the country. Many people, myself included, were bumping nothing but Dre, Snoop and Cube and while the Wu-Tang Clan and Redman were holding their own, there was only so much room in hip hop for that east coast sound. Unfortunately this found such head-nodding beats like the title track falling on deaf ears.

Right from the jump “Ready or Not” brings back memories of first hearing the “Chief Rocka” sample dropped in their breakthrough hit. The more you listen to the album, the more you realize that maybe it wasn’t the Lords’ fault that they couldn’t continue the success. While Black Sheep’s second album Non-Fiction flopped due to the group’s seeming lack of interest in their own material, the Lords stuck to what they knew and it still failed, proving that people are fickle. One day they want what they know and the next day they might want something completely different and in 1994 it was clearly the latter.

If you liked Here Come The Lords for the in-your-face rhymes and neck breaking beats, then Keepers of the Funk is just as good. It’s more condensed which makes it more focused. Growth is displayed in the lyrical content while you’re still getting straight up boom bap joints like “Neva Faded” and “Frustrated.” Keepers is a fine piece of work that’s aged well and deserves to be appreciated. The first album may have the hits and the memories, but the second album proves that the Lords had found their niche and didn’t need to expand. They lived by the old adage of “keep it simple” and it gave us two great albums. — C-Dub

Lords Of The Underground – “Tic Toc”

Lords Of The Underground – “Ready Or Not”

Lords Of The Underground – “Keepers Of The Funk”

Tags: , ,

20 Responses to “Revisiting: Lords Of The Underground – Keepers of the Funk”

1. Revisiting: Lords Of The Underground – Keepers of the Funk http://goo.gl/fb/2AyeA

2. Revisiting: Lords Of The Underground – Keepers of the Funk | The …: Many people, myself included, were bumping… http://bit.ly/mQrQLG

3. My next article up on the T.R.O.Y. Blog – Revisiting Lords of the Underground’s "Keepers of the Funk" – http://bit.ly/iINlib

4. The ILLatino says:

I like KEEPERS OF THE FUNK better than the debut. It is excellently produced and the raps are entertaining.

The beat to “No Pain” is outta here.

5. A-bomb says:

don’t sleep on the what i’m after remix with keith murray, totally bangin and should have made the LP

6. Brandan E. says:

this LP is really solid!!!
    my joint is F.A.I.T.H!!! thats a classic track, plus u can not forget What Im Afta!!!
    those 2 joints are solidified classic material!!

7. nojiveturkey says:

I dig this record. The K-Def beats are flava. Although I may not feel the same if it were produced by someone else.

8. Spen1 says:

this post made me slap on my vinyl of this.. good looks Dub

9. Dray says:

Her Come The Lords was my shyt when it dropped in ’93. I was in 9th grade and I remember bumping LOTUG, Digable Planets, Pharcyde, Ice Cube etc heavily.

I like Her Come The Lords better than Keepers Of the Funk. Oh yeah, What Im After is my ish!

10. You really make it seem really easy together with
    your presentation however I to find this matter to
    be really something that I believe I would by no means understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely extensive for me. I’m having a look ahead on your subsequent submit, I’ll try to
    get the hang of it!

11. Grupo Coral says:

If some one desires to be updated with newest technologies then he must be pay a quick visit this
    site and be up to date every day.

12. To stop your home from deterioration?

13. I pay a visit every day a few web pages and websites to read posts, except this website offers feature based posts.

14. May I simply say what a comfort to discover somebody who truly knows what they
    are discussing over the internet. You certainly
    realize how to bring an issue to light and make it
    important. More and more people have to read this and understand this side of your story.
    I can’t believe you aren’t more popular given that you surely
    possess the gift.

15. right timex says:

What’s up, yeah this piece of writing is in fact pleasant and I have learned lot of things
    from it regarding blogging. thanks.

16. Create gliding patio gate in your own home?

17. In order to safeguard your household from injury?

18. Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Cheers

19. Muriel says:

I think this is among the most significant info for me.

And i’m satisfied reading your article. But wanna remark on some general
    things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really nice :
    D. Just right process, cheers