17Mar/1130

(Poll) Best Rap Label Of The 90s?

We usually discuss record labels in terms of their awful mistakes and rule #4080 shadiness, but today we are going to pay respect to the record labels of the 90s for putting out the music we still love. Poll after the jump. Respect to stepone for the poll idea; in this thread at the Troy forum he lists some of the artists associated with each label, so check it before voting. Tell us who you picked and why in the comments section.

What is the best rap label of the 90s?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “(Poll) Best Rap Label Of The 90s?”

1. done says:

if your gonna have no limit you need cash money too. and wheres profile?

i went with rap-a-lot but its nice to see that louds leading the way and rawkus hasnt gotten any votes yet. elektra had such a great catalogue, wild pitch too, but by all accounts they exemplified #4080

2. Teddy C.D. says:

Wild Pitch, for The Coup, Ultramagnetic, and OC. That’s a great roster.

3. Thun says:

I chose Elektra – KMD, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Brand Nubian, Del, Leaders Of The New School. That’s pure class right there.

Loud and Rap-A–Lot are my next favorite picks.

4. Brandan E. says:

i rolled with Bad Boy

Puff had built a dynasty within a few short years after the label was formed. he had hip-hop & r&b for ur pleasure. Puff’s roster was nuthin to sneeze at and he usered in a whole new vibe to hip-hop.
    i know im gonna get killed for praising Puff so much, but it cant be overlooked what this man had in the mid-90s. He was doin so well that another label wanted to take him out, thats competition at its highest.

5. Brandan E. says:

also yall took my next write up i was gonna talk about, but except for labels i was gonna talk about which click had a chance to be a dynasty if they stayed together. i might still go ahead and talk about that.
    great minds think alike.

6. Droopy says:

I chose Rap-a-lot. Their music has always been quality and consistent. They also serve as a launching pad for H-town artists. Sometimes a delayed launching pad but nonetheless a launching pad.

7. done says:

Thun, ol dirty and busta’s solo too. Dunno if it was Dante Ross’s A&Rin thats solely responsible but they had an insane amount of talent on there.

Yeah Wild Pitch were nice too, people talk about Steal This Album as the Coup’s best album loads but nothings fucking with Genocide & Juice for me, Boots needed E-Roc to be his Flava Flav imo. He was much more than that though, a lot of times i preferred his verses, he was really charismatic and his delivery was great. Its almost a Phife on Low End Theory-level change from a Sen-dog type to having a near-equal role on the album. Hard Concrete >>>>>>>>>

Rap-A-Lot had their own world and sound though and countless classic to great albums: convicts, geto boys, fadenuff faerybody, dmg, gangsta nip, z-ro and devin, big mike and scarface solos and thats only scratching the surface.

• Thun says:

I know nothing of Busta as a solo artists and the less said the better.

Agreed re: E-Roc. You should write an appreciation post. I’ll run it here.

Big Mike is the kind of rapper that is sorely needed today. I think he’d pistol whip Curren$y just because. Not that I have anything against Curren$y, I’m just saying.

• Droopy says:

It would be sweet if matched up rappers of equal size and did a poll on who would win in a fight. Could we do that?

• done says:

ha! He’d pistol whip Uncle Murda. You ever hear about him going to jail for trying to burn down J. Prince’s offices?

Thanks yeah that’d be cool, i’d definitly appreciate the opportunity. I’l try writing some stuff over the next few days see if i can come up with anything worth reading, E-Roc is way too underrated and deserves more shine, shame he decided to quit.

I’m sure you find this hard to believe but if you combine Busta’s first two albums together you can make a pretty great record, he almost takes on Diinco and Charlie’s roles himself through his schizo lack of focous. I can see why you’d imagine a whole album of Busta rapping would be a hard pill to swallow though.

• Droopy says:

I never heard that, man thats ballzy! what happened?- did yuo hear of the beef between 50 cent and z-ro? Ro would win!

what do you think about Waka Flaka v. Slim Thug? I mean they are prety much the same size

• Thun says:

Done, I was just being hyperbolic, I’ve listened to Busta’s earlier solo work and some of it is good. I doubt I’ll ever revisit any time soon though.

• done says:

Ha yeah bit of a fail there, should have been obvious. It’d be fairly shocking if Busta had pased by someone who knows Siah & Yeshua. I’m sure if you grew up back then his antics were nigh on impossible to avoid too.

• Droopy says:

I think I read somewhere that curren$y recently did a song with Fiend. Fiend is kinda Big Mike-ish.

The Gangsta’s Paradise soundtrack has Big Mike’s Havin Thangs song on it– that always surprised me. Great soundtrack though

• Thun says:

Droopy, Fiend has switched up his style and now raps as International Jones, a complementary figure to Curren$y’s “black James Bond” character.

• Teddy C.D. says:

All great releases, but The Coup’s debut is their best and one of my all-time favorite albums.

8. Brandan E. says:

am i the one yall referring to as E-roc?
    if so, i appreciate the love. and i did not decide to quit (almost tho) im still here and my blog is still running.

yo Thun, please read my latest write-up. as u can see thats where i was goin with it. u like it? should i add more?

9. Spen1 says:

hey what about cold chillin records?? one of my top 5 for sure.

10. Strategy says:

To me Loud and Elektra 90’s rosters are both way above everyone else:

LOUD
    Wu-Tang Clan, Raekwon, Mobb Deep, Big Pun, Alkaholiks, Xzibit, Sadat X, Cella Dwellas, Dead Prez, Inspectah Deck, Pete Rock (Soul Survivor 1), Loud “Nudder Budders” album

ELEKTRA
    Brand Nubian, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Del the Funkee Homosapien, LONS, Grand Puba, Busta Rhymes, KMD, Ol Dirty Bastard, and INI (one of my favorite all-time albums)

11. bluedrifting says:

@Strategy

Elektra shelved INI and I think some other (nice) projects also. That should be reason enough to not vote for them.

12. Teddy C.D. says:

I think Delicious Vinyl should have been included as well: The Pharcyde, Masta Ace (Inc.), Def Jef, and Tone Loc. Pretty great line-up too.

13. NovemberEnd says:

I can’t really think of an album Loud dropped that wasn’t a classic…so I’d have to give them the nod as the best Rap label of the 90s

No Limit, Death row, and Bad Boy all significantly influence the sound of their respective regions…

14. mrleft says:

PRIORITY RECORDS SHOULD BE ON HERE…
    (Heltah Skeltah, KILLARMY, Jay-Z “Reasonable Doubt”, Boot Camp Clik, O.G.C, Rass Kass, ICE CUBE, The Friday Soundtrack and The Rhyme & Reason Soundtrack plus a ton of other Gangster Rappers!!!)

But since it’s not…gotta be LOUD for me. I rocked my LOUD and fondle em’ tee’s heavy in the 90’s.