2Dec/1013

T.R.O.Y. Presents – Sounds Like The 90s Vol. 17

The last volume before the new year. While it was a pretty good year in hip-hop, there wasn’t an overwhelming amount of throwback tracks, thus us delivering you just 5 volumes of Sounds Like The 90s in ’10.

As many of you know, we do these compilations to capture an era that we all love. Some tracks do sound like the 90s, while others are artists from that era doing their thing. A few of these tracks have been out for awhile now, some even debuted on this site, but here is a tightly sequenced mix for the holidays. I wouldn’t normally put 3 tracks by one artist on a mix, but Kanye killed it this year (all 3 tracks not on the LP) and Q-Tip is responsible for 2 of those gems. There was no way I wasn’t putting these on for you guys.

Thanks to all the people that have supported over the years. We’ll continue to do these and we’re always keeping an open mind, so if you got something, don’t hesitate to link us. Props to Dirt_Dog and Strategy for helping–as always. Shouts to the entire T.R.O.Y. squad and our readers. Download link and front cover are below, back cover and tracklist are after the jump. Happy Holidays! –Philaflava

Download Volume 17

T.R.O.Y. Presents – Sounds Like The 90s Vol. 17

01. Roc Marciano – Scarface Nigga
02. The Left – Frozen feat. Kool G. Rap
03. Jay Electronica – Shiny Suit Theory feat. Jay-Z
04. Kanye West – The Joy feat. Pete Rock, Jay-Z, Charlie Wilson, Curtis Mayfield & Kid Cudi (prod. Pete Rock)
05. Action Bronson – Shiraz
06. Ghostface Killah – Together Baby
07. Kanye West & Jay-Z – That’s My Bitch (prod. Q-Tip)
08. Evidence – Outta My Mind feat. MURS
09. Canibus – Golden Terra Of Rap (Remix) feat. Tanya Morgan, TRUTHLiVE & Moe Green (prod. DJ Premier)
10. Wais P – You See It (prod. DJ Premier)
11. Stalley – Hercules
12. Damu The Fudgemunk – The Bright Side (Remix)
13. The Artifacts – Big Deal
14. Celph Titled & Buckwild – There Will Be Blood feat. Sadat X, Grand Puba, A.G., O.C. & Diamond D
15. Kanye West – My Chain Heavy feat. Talib Kweli & Consequence (prod. Q-Tip)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “T.R.O.Y. Presents – Sounds Like The 90s Vol. 17”

1. Is it me or is the mediafire link busted? I just keep getting sent round in an endless loop of ‘download here’ to ‘your download is starting’ without ever actually getting it. Please let me know ‘cos I am hungry to get this excellent looking comp.

2. philaflava says:

I’m having no prob with the link. Here is the direct link, try that.

3. PAS says:

Including only one Kanye-track would almost qualify a fail, but three?! I usually enjoy these and quite often find some new names to watch but this time..Kanye is as much hiphop as Black Eyed Peas, if Will I Am used some classic breaks as some hipster-schtick, the same way as Kanye, would you approve? Man, Philaflava come on now..and Wais P is wack as fuck, Premier beat or not! Props though for including Damu and Action Bronson.

• Thun says:

How is using classic breaks hipster shtick exactly? You sound like you have some kind of irrational personal grudge against the guy.

4. philaflava says:

I didn’t include the Kanye tracks so much because of Kanye, rather the beatmakers behind them. Have you given them a listen?

5. PAS says:

No Im sorry, I havent listened to them. After Kanye apologized to the worst president since Ronald Reagan, he pretty much lost that privilege in my book, to be heard at all. He is now like the Ted Nugent of rap. Im surprised that a move like that, the mother of sucker moves, went by so fairly unnoticed, really. I mean that his pop-crowd doesnt give a shit, is no surprise but that heads gave that a pass is beyond me.

• Thun says:

That’s a pretty extreme stance, and your refusal to even listen to his music based on that is even more extreme. Assuming that his music is so bad that you can’t even download a mix with him on it is yet another whole level of extreme. Taking the time to comment here to tell us you won’t be downloading said mix …. that’s just straight up tinfoil hat loony.

6. PAS says:

Hey I did download the mix, Im not that crazy!;) I just threw away the wack parts, Wais P after I had listened to it, Kanyes without listen. And really, I dont know if that is such an extreme stance, after a sellout like that, what can his music possibly ever tell me?

• Thun says:

The wack parts … including those that you didn’t listen to?

I’m just find it amazing that you believe that anything other than a song’s musical elements can make a song wack.

7. Slick Vicious says:

IDGAF, “Chain Heavy” bangs. An I’m sooo not a Kanye fan, so don’t sleep. However, I do prefer the Strong Arm Steady version of the Pete Rock production of ” Joy”. Lol @tinfoil hat loony.

8. PAS says:

When someone is an inch away from making “Caress the president”, that signals a lack of integrity, of authenticity, a lack of sincere music-making.

Its not only about the music, if MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice made an album off of golden age producers, would you support it? I think not, the concept of wack cant be eliminated that easy. In some way,shape or form this is all about poltics somewhere, there is no way around that.

But at the same time, what is considered wack though is highly personal. I find Kanye extremely wack, but of course Im not holding any personal grudge, since he is not a friend of mine and not significant at all in my life!;)

The schtick of using well-known battered breaks, is to me a souldeath attempt to buy into the late 1990s rap revival waiting in the wings. But when someone like Damu use them, it feels more like a homage, in Kanyes/WillIAms/Wyclefs/Timbalands hands it ends up a bit more of a money thing I feel. The Nineteen Ninety Now album by Celph Titled and Buckwild will be followed by others next year, no doubt. And thats what these big time people are looking for, the next big thing.
    When autotune was everywhere Kanye made a whole mayhem-album of it so..Ill pass.

• Thun says:

By “musical elements” I also meant the quality of the vocals, so no hammer and vanilla ice would not be included because they can’t flow or rhyme for shit.

But yeah, still amazed that you equate Kanye’s apology to being fully complicit in a former administration’s sins, and that this causes you to denounce his music before even hearing it. I guess I’m a traditionalist, I trust the critique of critics who have actually engaged the material.

9. PAS says:

I think Tim Dog said it best when he said: “You cant fuck around”, it is as simple as that really.

Add Comment Register