20Nov/1010

If you’re like me, you have a weakness for posse cuts. There is something about the pairing of different emcees together that always sparks my interest. Sometimes the collaborations are immaculate, sometimes in-congruent but many times they’re just flat out intriguing.

Posse Cuts can create careers in just 16 bars. Verses become memorable, some undeniable classics like Kane on The Symphony, Busta on The Scenario or even Prodigy on I Shot Ya (Remix). These records define an era. When an emcee went for theirs. When there was no last-minute editing so you don’t get out shined on your own shit. If you did, you did back then. Friends, favors and fun. That is what made up the posse cuts of the 90s. Whether you were label mates, crew members, weed carriers or just fans of a specific artists you reached out because you wanted to create something, not sell a record.

After the jump are 5 tracks that capture everything that you’d could ever want from posse cut. No these aren’t the greatest of them, some are truly great though. These are 5 unique posse cuts that remind you just how much fun hip-hop can be.

Heavy D – A Buncha Niggas feat. Gang Starr, Busta Rhymes, Rob O., Pete Rock & B.I.G.

Smif N Wessun – Cession At Da Doghillee feat. Boot Camp Click

Bas Blasta – The Rhythm feat. Lord Finesse, Fat Joe, The Beatnuts & Godfather Don

Chubb Rock – Three Men at Chung King feat. Red Hot Lover Tone & Grand Puba

Shyheim – Pass It Off (Underground Remix) feat. GP Wu & Big Daddy Kane

Download All
TROY – Super Saturdays – Posse Cuts

–Philaflava

{Editors Note} I’m well aware posse cuts are normally 4 or more rappers but Three Men At Chung King is too good not to be talked about.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Super Saturdays: Posse Cuts (Boot Camp, Shyheim, Chubb Rock, Heavy D & Bas Blasta)”

1. Kool Max Power says:

I’ve been into posse cuts when MCs used to invite unknown, skilled rappers from their own crew (Live @ The BBQ or Fudge Pudge type of stuff) , but I lost interest when A&Rs defined the features of these tracks with an eye at record sales.

2. Ya can’t beat a good posse cut. Although i was always irritated that buncha niggas had such badly mixed vocals, it was years before i could work out what Guru or Rob o had to say. Remember ‘the points’? That track had an insane line up over a dope easy mo beat. The result was a bit of a mess, but still fresh. A whole mixtape of the best posse cuts? Now that would be something…maybe a new philiflava challenge…

3. Boothe says:

“the pen hits the paper ink spills and fills, the lines with lyrics that thrills like my dills”

I don’t think anyone would ever consider Tone to be a great, but I sure as hell appreciated what he brought to posse cuts.

If you’re not gonna kill the track with lyrics, you gotta bring the personality (charisma), and tone (voice) — pun intended.

• philaflava says:

There is one thing that RHLT had and that was charisma. It’s his charisma that made #1 Player an enjoyable album for me. Sometimes charisma and a cool voice is all you need if the beats are right.

And word to Professor Elemental, maybe it is time for the new TROY Challenge.

4. Boothe says:

regarding the editors note:

I’ve always categorized a posse cut as the artist + 2 or more rappers.

So using an example of 3 rappers:

Chubb Rock + Tone and Puba = Posse Cut

A Tribe Called Quest (Tip and Phife) + Large Professor = Guest Appearance/Feature

5. Slick Vicious says:

I think it’s the comradery of great emcees that’s so excitin… A good posse cut is immortal. “The Symphony”, “Senario”, “Live from the BBQ”, “Back to the Grill”, “Don’t Cures” are all classics.

6. Yo, I spent about 6 months going through my massive vinyl and cd collection and made a dope list of ALL the Posse Cuts 1988 – 1997. I even did 3 radio shows out here on Stanford Radio dedicated to Posse Cuts a few months ago as well. When I get back on the board, I’ll be sure to post that shit for y’all, including the list.

7. Teddy C.D. says:

KMD feat. Brand Nubian – “Nitty Gritty” and the subsequent remix featuring Busta Rhymes are both CLASSIC. Though I prefer the remix.

8. vps says:

Hello! I really love this blog. Please tell me – from where do you have information for ths blog? vps http://zgredek122.wordpress.com/