18Nov/1020

(Poll) Which Remix is Better? Fast Life Edition: Revisited

Buckwild Presents

Werner von Wallenrod: Now, there have been a couple of Fast Life remixes already released. There’s the killer Norfside remix by Salaam Remi (sometimes wrongly credited to Buckwild), which was on Epic’s promo 12″. And there’s also the Vinyl Reanimators’ remix from their remix sampler 12″. Both of those trumped the LP version, but this one tops them all. This one’s smoother and grittier than any of the other mixes…this one feels like it should be the original, the definitive version of the song.

Buckwild: I worked on this somewhat later then I should have. Even though I did the album version and it was the single, Salaam’s remix was chosen before I even turned this in. I was going to use it on the white label, but went with the NaS and AZ songs instead.

While I’m showcasing how we’ve been ahead of the game, we posed this same question around this time two years ago as part of our Who Flipped It Better? series, before there was word of a true Buckwild remix. So now we return with another viable candidate, one that quite possibly may swoop in and take the cake as the most fitting one around, featured on the new Celph Titled related project, the Buckwild Presents EP, on No Sleep Recordings.

Vote for your selection as to which of them is the best of the bunch after the jump.

Here’s an idea of what DJ Shame of Vinyl Reanimators had to say a few years before all this, back in mid 2006:

DJ Shame: For me, at that time, when NaS had killed the streets with Illmatic, to be on a track with motherfucking G Rap and be rhyming over Happy by Surface just wasn’t doing it! Don’t get me wrong, I love the track Happy, but these were two of the most respected MCs on a street level and it completely lacked the element of raw hip hop. I had already done that track and the a capella fit it perfectly, so I added some cuts to fit the track as well.

Rebel to America: What was the campaign like to get Epic to accept your remix?

DJ Shame: We figured we’d blow the remix up on radio which would hopefully force the label to pick it up. We also went through a couple cats we knew that worked at the label as well…but nope.

Rebel to America: How much of a missed opportunity did it feel like?

DJ Shame: It was unfortunate, I guess…but oh well. I also had a chance of doing work with NaS prior to that while he was still on Ruffhouse, but he switched to straight Columbia.

Rebel to America: What did you think of Remi’s remix?

DJ Shame: It was alright, but I don’t think it compared to the remix I did. And it didn’t make nearly as much noise either.

Rebel to America: You’ve done official remixes, but then also, like with the Fast Life situation, had to resort to white labels. Can you talk about the importance of that avenue for your music?

DJ Shame: It was just a way of putting out stuff without having to deal with some of the record company morons. We tried dealing with a bunch of A&R people but found that most didn’t know what time it was.

Now remember, Shame and Salaam were not only remixing the same vocals, they were also using some of the same samples around that time as well.

Download all four versions (320 CBR and V2 / VBR):

Kool G Rap – Fast Life ft. NaS (Produced by Buckwild)

Kool G Rap – Fast Life (Buckwild Remix) ft. NaS (Produced by Buckwild)

Kool G Rap – Fast Life (Norfside Remix) ft. NaS (Produced by Salaam Remi)

Kool G Rap – Fast Life (Vinyl Reanimators Remix) ft. NaS (Produced by The Vinyl Reanimators)

(As a bonus, I’ve included Funkmaster Flex’s mix from the Hot 97 promo 12″.)

People have been talking about the remixes to this track for years and probably will for many more. Well, what’s your pick? Remi‘s Norfside mix? The VR sampler mix? The newly released Buckwild? Or do you just wanna stick with the original? Leave your reasoning in the comments and / or cast a ballot for your choice below.

What's the definitive version of KGR's Fast Life?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Props to Escobar Theory, HQ Hip Hop, Unkut, Verge and Werner von Wallenrod.

— The Big Sleep

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to “(Poll) Which Remix is Better? Fast Life Edition: Revisited”

1. Vinyl Reanimators..grimy beat and cuts out and replaces what has to be one of the worst choruses in Hip Hop history.

2. Kool Max Power says:

IMO the best version is the Buckwild remix, closely followed by the VA remix.

3. Thun says:

I’m going with the Norfside mix, the energy on the track is incredible. If I remember correctly Verge shares this opinion. Buckwild and VA versions are great too, don’t get me wrong.

4. The Big Sleep says:

Damn, this is an even closer race than I thought it would be so far.

5. Joneski says:

Tough choice – these are all DOPE for sure. I can’t lie, I like the vibe of the original, personally. That shit is just superfly.

6. Alex says:

Norfside by far

although Thun did put the original version into a new perspective for me a while ago and I subsequently gained a new appreciation for it.

7. Jake says:

Norfside all the way

8. The Big Sleep says:

As of now the Norfside remix is winning in the comments but the Buckwild one is still edging it out in the poll.

Both of those have over thirty percent of the vote at the time of this reply, so it’s a fairly split decision between the two, with the VR remix trailing not too far behind.

It’s gonna be interesting to see how this’ll play out, the responses are about as varied here as they are elsewhere, at least from what I’ve heard and read about this discussion in general.

9. homeskillet says:

VA mix for me, KGR over that beat is just too tough for the other ones to beat imo

man I love this song

10. pradadon says:

Def was always a big, big fan of the VR remix. Now that this Buckwild remix has emerged, my mind might have been swayed. Perhaps it’s just the “newness” of it that entices me. I’m gonna stay with the VR remix as my vote, though.

11. philaflava says:

Norf wins

Actually, I’ve always sided with the VR remix, personally. But I also love the Norfsyde remix. Both are greatness and can’t be topped, imho.

Not really loving the Buckwild remix as much as everyone else has been since it was unearthed. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, it’s dope, just not as really power driven or crazy original sounding like the Norfside or VR remixes.

13. cenzi says:

Vinyl Reanimators all the way.

14. aleph says:

If we’re talking purely favorites. VR edges Norfside by a hairline. But Norf is definitive imo. Norfside takes it.

15. The Big Sleep says:

The comments still say Norfside, but now the results from the voting says Buckwild again. It’s been fairly back and forth.

16. cratesofjr says:

I like the original and the VR remix best. The VR remix gives a grimy, sinister feel to contrast the original, I love the scratch chorus.

I read a comment about the alum version’s chorus, I don’t think it’s too bad, maybe that’s because I love the original song by Surface so much as an 80’s R&B head. I thought it was interesting for them to use that Surface sample compared to the rest of the album which was more dark, Who knows, it might have been part of their strategy in releasing a more radio-friendly single since the rest of 4,5,6, was as gutter as can be.

The soulful feel of Surface’s “Happy” paired with Nas & G Rap’s images of the streets reminds me of a scene from New Jack City, that was a dark street movie but in some places you had that type of R&B which set a different tone for representing what was happening.

Surface – Happy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0puh2p0bbA

17. Scrambled says:

Any chance of these songs being re-upped? More specifically the Funk Flex mix and the Buckwild remix