17Nov/1018

Thanks to Irish Craig for this tape cover. Peep his blog out here for some other goodies.

You will be blessed here, believe that. But first I wanted to apologize to our readers for the down right screwy way that Stretch and Bobbito Month went down. As you probably know, our blogspot was closed down dead in the middle of SnB month which made it look like this project was brought to a cease. But it’s not, we’re going to extend this for as long as necessary. Of course, all of the posts here will not be related to SnB, but we will still steadily bring you much coverage and have an impressive arsenal on the way. So stay tuned. Press “read the rest of this entry” for some exclusive (to the internet) treats below…

Finally we have an almost full radio rip1 of Akinyele’s “No Exit Pt. 2”.2 The downside is that Stretch3 runs his yap over about 15 seconds of the second verse.4  And if memory serves me correct, the other times they played this, they put the “this is a Stretch Armstrong exclusive” drop over parts of it. But we take what we can get and are thankful for it, especially if it’s free and off a several thousand dollar market value record.

Akinyele – No Exit Part 2(radio rip)

Speaking of Akinyele, we also have two promos from him that I been looking for for a while now. You’ll hear the first time he did his “Juan Valdez” shtick here, which he made a song with on that “Music Killz” compilation.

Akinyele – WKCR Promo 1 (1996)

Akinyele – WKCR Promo 2 Juan Valdez (1996)

Speaking of promos, here’s another short, freestyled WKCR promo by the underground phenoms, Non Phixion.

Non Phixion – WKCR Promo (1996)

Moving right along, do you remember a demo called “45 Stitches” by a dude called “Terror Green”? Well, dare I say, it’s a classic demo banger and had me and other tape heads fiending to hear more.  I had one other demo from him in 96 called “Check The File” but I lost that tape, weeks after recording, in a random TnT sweep.5 Well, it’s finally resurfaced. Just from these two demos produced by DJ Nastee, you know that Terror Green should have been signed and we should have albums’ worth of discussion here, but we don’t. So enjoy what we do have.

Terror Green – 45 Stitches (1995 or 1996 Demo, produced by DJ Nastee)

Terror Green – Check The File (1995 or 1996 Demo, produced by DJ Nastee)

Aaaand, to add on to this little demo extravaganza, we have a Timbuktu joint from 1995. Timbuktu is a Swedish rapper but I dare you to find any traces of that in this demo. He kind of reminds me of OC to some degree. Anyway, the song is called “Look Alive”. Enjoy!

Timbuktu – Look Alive (1995 Demo, Sweden)

Download everything in one folder here.

The Terror Green demo, Check The File, is a major find here. Thanks to DJ Eclipse for ripping and sharing that show,6  along with many others he’s been posting lately. Timbuktu’s demo and the Non Phixion promo were both from that same tape from Eclipse. The other Terror Green demo, 45 Stitches, was from an old Blockhead tape or from a tape he got from trading on the net years ago and blessed us with in the very beginning of this blog’s existence. Peace to him for that. The Akinyele promos are from a tape that Nes from Dirtywaters recently ripped for the cause, thanks. And catch 9 more demos here and many other places on T.R.O.Y.

–Verge

1. It’s tagged “Ben O” but I’m not sure exactly who that is since I’ve happily been inundated with Stretch and Bob material and am having a hard time figuring out who shared what at this point. All I can say is that I will do my best to credit everyone possible and that if I missed you, leave a comment. []
  2. This song was only on one record that was limited to between 10 and 18 copies, I’m hearing 17, which makes no damn sense, most recently. []
  3. Stretch must have had something to do with the label this was on, Liberty Grooves, since also the “Freestyle Frenzy” records are linked to his Dolo Records in discogs. []
  4. Dj Premeir’s blog made a mix of this rip from our site and the snippet from DJ Mike Nice to try to make a better rip out of it. Check that here if you’re inclined. []
  5. The following is an excerpt from the link “TnT Sweep”: Mayor Rudolph Giuliani’s drug strategy resulted in approximately 886,000 people being arrested for drugs during the eight years he was in charge, an astounding average of nearly 111,000 per year, or more than 300 a day. []
  6. April 18th, 1996 is the show in question that also includes sets by the X Men killin ish as usual. []

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Stretch And Bobbito Focus Continues: Demos & Promos (Terror Green, Akinyele, Timbuktu, etc.)”

1. Kool Max Power says:

The OG version of No Exit 2 is a perfect track, so in my opinion there’s no need for a remix, especially if a beat sounds lackluster like this one.

The Terror Green stuff sounds nice.

Thanks for sharing these recordings, Verge!

2. troyblog says:

Yeah, for years that Diggers With Gratitude snippet is all that a lot of these online heads have ever heard. Great post man.

3. Mawa says:

Thanks for the Timbuk track, a real treat for a Swedish hip hop fan. He has a few more demo tracks from that era but this is the first one I’ve seen as a mp3. I got one more track on a cassette somewhere from a swedish hiphop special on swedish radio.

He did make one official release during those years (available on vinyl). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C4Kli0_xXQ

4. e-breaks says:

Yeah man! Those Terror Green demos are dope! Also thank you for the timbuk demo, im a big fan of swedish hiphop too! appreciate your work!

5. Krisch says:

Thanks for these treats!

Is that the same DJ Nastee who produced for Hard 2 Obtain? Couldn’t find it out via the links you posted..

• verge says:

Krisch, I know he did do a bunch of stuff for some known artists back then, I just can’t find a good discography of this guy. So it definitely could be him on the Hard To Obtain.

• Nastee says:

peace verge… this is Nastee… good lookin’ out on the Terror Green and Hard 2 Obtain posts! Those are both my productions (Big ups to SD50 for puttin’ me on way back then). I finally got all my ish from that era digitized. Holla at me so I can hit you with some of it!

• peter says:

whats going on Nastee, i was a big fan of Hard 2 Obtains first album and all the stuff that Bob played, he played a demo/song in 93 that might’ve been called “Keeping It Safe” (according to Taste) that Six Sev rhymed on also, it was a jazzy beat from what i remember, if you have that and bless this site with it it would make my day man…i ve been looking for that song since 93
          Peace

@Kool Max Power: Yeah, man, I dig the og too, it’s really an unbelievably great beat and I don’t really know why they named this “Part 2” instead of just the remix. But I’ve always dug the beat for this, too.
    @TheBigSleep: Oh man, I thought that snippet was from Mike Nice, not DWG. If I’m wrong, my apologies to all.
    @Mawa and @e-breaks: Glad you enjoy that Timbuktu demo, shit is ill!

Glad you all enjoyed these. Peace to Eclipse, Nes, and Ben O for the rips.

7. Dope shit Verge!

8. Sleptembers says:

i have a pile of tapes and one contains 45 stitches..thanks for making life easy.

9. Verge says:

Hey Peter
    Was the hook something like “this is the way the east puts in work.. blah blah ? ? .. keep the safe shit ?.. let the bullshit float,

• Peter says:

Verge is there anyway you can post that song if you have it?

• Peter says:

peace Verge, , its very thats how it went but i havent heard it since 93, i did some and think i narrowed it down to the show on april 1, 1993, bob was there alone so he played alot of demos and freestyles, kool keith was up there as well. i was able to find parts if that show but it was pause taped so didnt find that song yet. appreciate the help. on a side note i have alot of stuff i can givr you from my old tapes from kcr, nyu, 105.9 and as well as i did a radio show from 96 to 99 at baruch college and stoneybrook. definitely got dome freestyles and demos you and your fans will enjoy. that h2o joint is something ive been searching fir about 20 years now, wasnt on the album or any bside off the 12 inches

10. peter says:

peace Verge, thank you for the quick reply, the blog is dope, its very podsible thats how itwent but i havent heard it since 93, i did some reseatch and think i narrowed it down to the show on april 1, 1993, bob was there alone so he played alot of demos and freestyles, kool keith was up there as well. i was able to find parts if that show but it was pause taped so didnt find that song yet. appreciate the help. on a side note i have alot of stuff i can givr you from my old tapes from kcr, nyu, 105.9 and as well as i did a radio show from 96 to 99 at baruch college and stoneybrook. definitely got dome freestyles and demos you and your fans will enjoy. that h2o joint is something ive been searching fir about 20 years now, wasnt on the album or any bside off the 12 inches

11. booters says:

Hi there, I wish for to subscribe for this website to obtain newest updates,
    so where can i do it please assist.