25Sep/0915

Help A Blogger Out: 1997 Roc Marciano EP

The last one of these I did, didn’t yield much help at all. But I will continue to bother you because I trust in your never ending reservoir of hip hop knowledge.

This started out over a year ago, with me looking like an idiot in trying to describe this song in a request thread.
All I could remember was sampled singing that went,”yah, yah, yah-yahhh”, and a few random lines. I deduced that the name of the artist was Black Prophet and the song title was Extra Mile, and I was pretty wrong.
It was played on Bobbito a few times and so was a remix.

Well, almost a year ago, I found an old CD that had a bunch of random tracks from various radio shows on it.
I was in luck, but not 100%. I found what I always thought of as the remix to this song I was looking for.

Check it out, it’s ill:
“The Prophecy” Mix #2?

Okay, so now I post this mix in the requests, hoping it will help someone out there to recognize what I was looking for. Sure enough, within the day, a T.R.O.Y. poster and fellow former Stretch and Bobbito follower named mathematik, came through lovely.
He ripped the song with the “yah, yah, yah yahhh” sample in it straight from tape.
And he made a strong guess, that we all wound up agreeing on, that this was a young Roc Marciano from the UN.
The sound quality isn’t great, but it’s enough for you to recognize it if you heard it before.

Check it:
“The Prophecy” Mix #1?

Well, now we still had to confirm who it was and what exactly it was from. Being that Bobbito had played it in regular rotation, not in a “Demo Corner” type block, I guessed this had to be a vinyl. And there was two mixes so it was doubtful that this was a demo.
I decided to send these songs to Alkuttraz, from Crates Of AG, because of his deep knowledge on mid 90’s obscure vinyl. Sure enough he sends me back the answer I wanted:

Alkuttraz said-
“this is rocky marciano. it’s an ep from ’97 called noose productions volume 1. hella dope record.
side a is marciano and ox as ‘kuku productions’. track is called ‘the prophecy’ and has 3 different mixes.”

Awesome. Great. Done. Now the vinyl has to pop up on one of those uber rare VLS blogs, right?
Nope.
But this week we got a little treat. New T.R.O.Y. forum poster, Sebastion Shaw, posted the third mix of this song which is another banger!
Props also to philosophic and bosmann for putting in work to get the quality better sounding on this one.

Peep it:
“The Prophecy” Mix #3?

And please keep your eyes open for this:
12″ Vinyl Title – Noose Productions EP
Artists – Marciano and Ox as Kuku Productions
Tracks – “The Prophecy” 3 mixes
Year – 1997
Thanks to mathematik, Quotashun, alkuttraz, Sebastion Shaw, philosophic, and bosmann.
Also thanks to aReal for almost finding a rip of the vinyl. But it was actually a kid who just took all the rips from T.R.O.Y. and posted them on youtube.
And also check the hyperlinks on the peoples’ names here. Most of them have good blogs that you might want to visit. And since summer is officially over, enjoy this unbelievably ill Roc Marcy cut, “Snow”.
–Verge

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “Help A Blogger Out: 1997 Roc Marciano EP”

1. Rory says:

What's that "Snow" jawn off of? We need a mix of anything other than the U.N. album, World Domination mix, and Strength & Honor mix.

I think Snow was just a random cut that wasn't on anything, from 2007. I originally first heard that at Unkut.com.
    Yeah, some new UN or Roc Marcy would be great.

3. M says:

Yo! glad you put this up to garner the collective to see if we can get this jawn out from somewhere…been lookin for a good quality since I heard it in 97'………..Also thanks for some shine to the blog…….

4. thomasv says:

good luck on finding the 12".

There was also that marco polo reply:

"Verge, here ya go, Marco just replied on FB;

Marco Bruno at 9:54pm June 18
    dude I've never heard that before! But, i definitely can confirm that it is Rocky and its MAD old."

5. spitler says:

two things:
    rock has a bunch of tracks with the arch druids dropping soon, you can check snippets here:
    and why would marco polo know anything about any of this stuff? he's just an mp3 kid like most of the rest of the readers here… cms for life.

6. Robbie says:

Nice work, didn't know about this one.

7. Riverse81 says:

holy shit….i didnt think anyone knew this track existed! i used to call it "the extra mile"….weeks after bobbito first dropped it on kcr i played it for his then employee eli escobar at footwork…he told me bob had mad indy records from canada and it was probably one of those….i thought my dreams of ever finding out about it were dashed alongside those of the canadian indy rap scene circa 97! odd coincidence that marco polo chimed in….i never ripped it off cassette but still know every word like it was paid in full!!!…i love this blog like none other…props

8. riccarda says:

snow is on the don shit ep bootleg from 2008.

Ohh, the links dead! You gotta. . .

Thanks everybody for the info and props. @anonymous- I just tried the link and it works fine. Try it again and if it don't work I'll throw it up on a different server.

11. Paul Smith says:

damn, seems this is untraceable :[

12. mathematik says:

peace verge!! i was doing my monthly search for the song and everytime it only brings me back to your T.R.O.Y thread haha I have to give credit to Tru Vyne from the Squeeze Radio forum for sending me the mp3 originally!!

peace>>the search continues>>

13. hspussy says:

yeah thats ill.wish i could help out more,but i'll buy it if i ever see it

that "snow" is sick!

15. Plato da God says:

Roc Marciano dropped this back in 97. A re-release came out in 2011 called “The Prophecy EP”.

Check it: http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/07/09/roc-marciano-the-prophecy-ep/