17Sep/096

DJ Premier – Originals

As the cover states, this is a continuous mix of funk & soul as sampled by DJ Premier. It also has some rock, jazz, fusion, and soundtrack cuts. And it’s actually divided into three lengthy tracks. Which is better, IMO, than the entire mix being on one track. No tracklist at all here. There’s a bunch of obvious samples that you probably already know. But don’t sleep, there are quite a few I never heard and they are treats. You should notice a few that were used by other producers, too.

Something strange about this CD, though. The same exact mix was released in 2002 as “Primo’s Bakery”. And there is no credit on either mix as to who mixed it. WTF?! Unless it was by Primo, himself, or somebody who wants to remain anonymous. I dunno, man.
On google, all the info I could find on “Primo’s Bakery” were places to download it and places to buy donuts and banana bread. The only info I could find on this release was the label to purchase it from, Boomkat.
Definitely worth a cop just for that bad ass cover. Too bad it’s not on vinyl. Not yet, at least.
Check The Previews:
Part 1-
Part 2-
Part 3-
–Verge

Tags: , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “DJ Premier – Originals”

1. Mr.1derful says:

My boy made this mix. Well, actually 2 of my friends. It is Primos Bakery, just repackaged. I'm not gonna say who they are out of respect to them & the sample game, but I will say I made another breaks mix about 3-4 years back with my boy who made this called "Breakmasters". I am going to post it soon & although alot of the samples sound dated, i'm still happy with it. I would love for you guys to repost "Breakmasters" as TROY is handsdown my favorite Blog.

@Mr.1derful- Thanks for stopping through and clearing that up for us. We would definitely like to hear that "Breakmasters" mix, too.
    Thanks again.

3. Cenzi Stiles says:

this shit has been on rotate all afternoon at work! thanks to your boys for that Mr.!

4. raz says:

If you've listened to moment of truth enough times youd recall primos rant about how he hates sh*t like this that give away all of his break and sample origins. Saying that primo would even contemplate releasing something like this is wrong and off point.

"Ya'll are violating, straight up and down"

@raz- I know Gangstarr's catalog front to back and Primo's stance on "sample snitching". This is a mix with NO TRACKLIST. In other words, the only way this would hurt Primo is if an artist was specifically out there trying to find out if DJ Premier sampled from them. Highly doubtful. And if that was the case, they would have found out long before this mix.

6. goodmuzik says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but i love this mix cause i love soul, funk jazz an of course, all primo’s beat. and i’m not sure in what order. primo because of the originials, or the originals because of primo. the lead is defnitly on the originals side tho. which is the reason i’ve been lookin for the tracklist. I want these originals to add to my collection. and i think we all know. primo knows how to pick em. on that note, anybody know how i can get the list??

Add Comment Register