1Jun/099

Chi-Ali – The Youngest Native Tonguer

Chi-Ali Griffith. I think everyone already knows the story behind this guy, but let’s recapitulate it once more, in short notes.

Chi-Ali started rapping around age 12-13. He has made his first appearance in The Apollo club in London, together with Queen Latifah and Jungle Brothers. He jumped in after Afrika from the Jungle Brothers missed his flight to London. He also said that he had wrote around 40% of his first and only album and the rest had been done by Dres, De La Soul, Q-tip and Phife and of course The Beatnuts who were involved in the production of the album as well.
In the interviews which you can see if you scroll down the whole page, Chi-Ali talks about those days and about the time after he has commited that famous murder in 2000.

Age Ain’t Nothin’ But A # (1992)

A1 Age Ain’t Nothin’ But A #

A2 Maniac Psycho
B2 Age Ain’t Nothin’ But A # (Instrumental)

DOWNLOAD

Let The Horns Blow / Funky Lemonade (1992)

A1 Let The Horns Blow
A2 Let The Horns Blow (Instrumental)
B1 Funky Lemonade (Remix)
B2 Funky Lemonade (Remix Instrumental)

DOWNLOAD

*This version of Let The Horns Blow is without Fashion’s verse, but with Chi-Ali’s new verse and new, matured voice.
Roadrunner (1992)

A1 Roadrunner (LP Version)
A2 Roadrunner (Puberty Mix)
B1 Roadrunner (Puberty Instrumental)
B2 The Fabulous Chi

Funky Lemonade (Promo, 1992)

A1 Funky Lemonade (Radio Edit)
B1 Funky Lemonade (Instrumental)

Chi-Ali – Funky Lemonade (Remix) in better quality than vinyl rip

Check also Roadrunner version with Dove rapping. Thanks to Roy Johnson.
My guessing about this would be that Dove probably wanted to show to Chi-Ali how to rap and flow over that beat.

Dove – Roadrunner

Chi-Ali’s interviews from the correction facility

— Markshot

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Chi-Ali – The Youngest Native Tonguer”

1. Cenzi Stiles says:

I wish he had left us with more. he had a cool vibe about him. I remember being 13 years old hearing him and saying to myself "when I grow up, I wanna be Chi Ali. Rappin and hanging out with Native Tongues"…

2. Nathan Smart says:

I've been looking for the full album for awhile – I haven't checked lately but does anyone have it?

3. hotbox says:

The Ch-Ali album was kinda weak, the Puberty remix of Roadrunner showed that he had potential with a deeper voice and improved flow.

4. thomasv says:

the funky lemonade remix is off the hook!!! Thanks for those new interviews!

5. Boothe says:

Big up to Roy for sharing the reference track for Roadrunner.

Does somebody has more info on the track "No Surrender, No Retreat" by chi-ali produced by dj premier ?

7. T.R.O.Y. says:

Thanks.

@Nathan Smart:
    I have TFCA album, but to be honest don't know when i will have time to rip it and upload it, so it's better that to not promise you when you can expect it. My best thinking is to google it.

@Anonymous:
    Unfortunately, i don't have more info on that track.

-Markshot

8. Nathan Smart says:

of course, now that I start looking for it it's all over the net – for a while there it wasn't posted anywhere… thanks!

Thank you so much for the Let the Horns blow/Funky Lemonade single. I have the 12" but it sounds like absolute sh*t compared to this. Is yours from a CD single?