4Apr/0924

R.I.P. Tony D

R.I.P. TONY D

I’m in shock so I don’t know what to say, but this I know, Tony D was one of the nicest guys in the game. He never fully received the props he deserved and there wasn’t a time he wasn’t down to help out others. He was a friend of T.R.O.Y. and on behalf of all of the members of this blog I want to say rest in peace homie.

News Source

Hamilton man, 42, killed when car overturns

Sunday, April 05, 2009
BY CARMEN CUSIDO

HAMILTON–A township man died after losing control of his vehicle turning onto Bunting Avenue from Lalor Street yesterday evening, police said.

Police were investigating why Anthony Depula, 42, lost control of his car at 6:20 p.m. The 2002 purple Jeep went up over the curb and struck the fence of St. John’s Cemetery, causing the vehicle to overturn onto its passenger side.

Depula was unconscious at the scene and was transported to Capital Health Systems at Fuld, where he was pronounced dead, according to police. He was not wearing a seat belt and sustained an injury to his neck.

Known as “Tony” to the neighbors, they said Depula and his family lived on Bunting Avenue, but police would not confirm that information. Depula’s car had a white posterboard on the passenger’s side with the words “Cha-Ching Records” etched on the side, a Hamilton address and a 609 area code number.

About a dozen neighbors rushed to the overturned vehicle, shattering the windshield to try to get the man out, said John Skoglund, from the 200 block of Henry Street.

“We tried to get him out. He was too heavy to get out through the windshield,” Skoglund said, adding that “it was a while, a good 10 minutes” before police or other emergency personnel responded at the scene. But police said they were there within a minute of the accident being called in.

A group of neighbors had pushed the truck up, getting Depula out from the passenger’s side of the car, Skoglund said, adding that while they were pulling him out, the police came and assisted them.

Joe Crupi, of the 600 block of Lalor Street, said Depula was blue in the face and unresponsive when he was pulled out of the car.

A Henry Street woman who did not want her name printed, said she saw the overturned car and people rushing to help the man from her window.

She said she saw Depula’s wife run up the street screaming for her husband, but that emergency workers wouldn’t let her see him.

Some of the witnesses gathered and a nearby neighbor said the intersection is dangerous, with people whizzing by on a one-way street, and some others occasionally driving on the wrong side of the road.

Pointing to a baseball field on Bunting Avenue, Crupi said children walk up the street to play there all the time.

“It could have been a lot worse,” Crupi said.

Hamilton police officer Brian Carvale is investigating the accident. Police are asking anyone who was with Depula prior to the crash to call (609) 581-4000 or (609) 581-4024.

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “R.I.P. Tony D”

1. Thun says:

Terrible news. He was doing the second incarnation of his classic show on WPRB when Verge and I had our respective shows (circa 2003). We kicked it with him on a few occasions, including once when he brough Wise Intelligent over to Verge's show.

Rest in peace to one of the most slept-on producers in the game and a New Jeruz legend.

2. thomasv says:

R.I.P. Tony D

3. Jaz says:

Very sad news, Tony D was a great producer and gave us a LOT of dope beats over the years, R.I.P. Tony D aka Harvee Wallbanga.

4. sosa says:

Rest In Peace. He gave the world some great music.

5. RUDOLPH LYRICS says:

rip to a hip hop pioneer.

RIP Tony D. The first time I met Tony D, he was coming through to the radio show to do a set.Samit(oracle) hooked him up with us. He was mad cool, down to earth, and humbled by the respect we showed him. One of the first things I said to him was,"Ayo Harvee! Who? Harvee Wallbanga…". He said he was always kind of embarrassed about that record for some reason. He was just mad cool. He would answer any questions, tell us ill stories, show us certain records he looped or was gonna loop.
    Definitely a pioneer and a big loss to the culture. I feel bad for his family. RIP

He was definitely a stand up guy. rest in peace

8. Blokey says:

Amazing Emcee – Producer…2tone productions should be in everyones top 10 for masters of Hip Hop beats.
    R.I.P Tony D – Harvee Wallbangar

9. khal says:

i had heard news of this last night, pissed that its been confirmed. RIP Tony D.

Good producer, sad story, but c'mon – top 10 producers – that's just a joke.

I can`t believe this, he was just on the UGHHH producer forums last week selling some of his music gear.
    Tony D was a great producer and beat makers.
    He has been making good music since the golden age on hiphop (The early 90`s) and still kept with it and made great music to this day.

Peace TonY D im not going to say RIP becuz you music will make you live forever.

Joe (Soundsforsamplers)
    Soundsforsamplers.com
    UGHH.com

12. DJ Mista Reese says:

As A true Trentonian I got to see Tony D and his vision in rare form. he will be greatly missed but never forgotten because his legacy of a hip hop utoptia will live on

Sad news. Loved Tony's stuff, his beats were ill and Droppin' Funky Verses was a classic. From Trenton to Glasgow real respect real and i still remember the day i picked up the lp and thought ' Harvey Wallbanger'
    this sounds cool and yo it was!! He will be sadly missed.
    Rest In Peace Tony.

Big Braveheart

14. GDAGR8 says:

The Partners in Rhyme, Poor Righteous Teachers and Intelligent Muzik with deepest sympathy and regret send our condolences to the family of Anthony "Tony D" Depula. We remember Tony D as one of the most important figures in the development of rap music in the city of Trenton, as well as New Jersey! Tony was instrumental in helping launch the careers of groundbreaking hip hop acts, like YZ, Too Kool Posse, Partners in Rhyme and of course, the legendary Poor Righteous Teachers! He will be sorely missed, not only by friends and family, but the members of this close knit community of hip hop headz! As a community we pause the beat, to salute my Partner in Rhyme,R.I.P, Tony D!

Sincerely,

Gino G. C.O.O
    PARTNERS IN RHYME
    INTELLIGENT MUZIK

15. soulright says:

RIP Tony…i can't believe I just spoke to you yesterday…i'm honored that I've had the chance to work with you, and i'm fucking heartbroken that I didn't get your call yesterday morning…i'm gonna make you proud with this album…i promise to make your name live on forever

16. Certified Banger says:

Sad news. 🙁

17. K-Funk says:

ONE LOVE TONY…U WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!

Thank you for all the music you gived me! A great man left us …RIP!

18. Ominous Red says:

Damn…

Top 10 producer….no question! Original and underrated. Huge loss for hip hop. RIP

20. ALMIGHTY says:

ALMIGHTY & KD RANKS WOULD LIKE TO SEND OUR DEEPEST SYMPATHY TO TONY D AND HIS FAMILY. I WAS THERE FROM THE BEGINING WITH THE ROLAND 808. WE HAD LIKE THREE MACHINES TO MAKE ONE TRACK. RIP MY DUDE. YOU WILL BE MISSED

21. Mr. Do It To The Crowd says:

DJ King Shameek of Twin Hype fame here.
    Tony and I produced King Sun’s Righteous But Ruthless album in 1990. Tony has always been a cool guy as long as i known em so ima make sure that his music lives on at all my gigs.

Hip Hop has lost one of the great ones.
    My condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P. Tony D. Till we meet again my friend

22. Mr. Do It To The Crowd says:

My friend was laid to rest 2day.
    Rest In Peace Anthony "Tony D The Great" Depula

23. SHS says:

Rest in peace, Tony D. You made an impact on so many people. Your music and legacy will live on. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

24. RememberingTonyD.blogspot.com says: