7Mar/0919

Saafir – One Of The Hardest (Vinyl EP & CD)

Click photo to download the mp3s off the vinyl EP
One of the hardest … EPs to find information on? Absolutely. Recently, a denizen of the T.R.O.Y. Forum named Fak uploaded this seven track vinyl EP, which is for sale here and appears to have been released in 2005 on the equally elusive Drive-By Pimp Slap label (DBPS2-1). But confusion ensued in the thread – fellow blogger Markshot, among others, had come across an album of the same title but with eight tracks, two of which, “Back Up Off Me” and “Less Work,” are similarly titled to songs on the vinyl version, but no exactly. Major WTF here.
Google Blog Search was not immediately helpful in this case, but with a little bit of sleuthing I was able to put the puzzle pieces together. A blog post from December 2006 that is now in 404 limbo proclaims that Saafir’s One Of The Hardest EP is a limited edition: “saafir returns! 8 unreleased tracks (not on any other release) recorded between 1997-2002. hella limited. look out for a new album in the near forseeable future.” This post apparently included a tracklist but the blurb visible in the search result only shows “1.less work 2.bad b*tch 3.touch somebody (feat. xzibit),” which matches the first three selections from Markshot’s tracklist. That plus the “hella” suggested some pure west coast authenticity to me.
Further in the past, back in August 2005, SergDun from We Eat So Many Shrimp blogged about a Saafir concert he attended, in which the Saucee Nomad insisted on performing some brand new material which included songs called “Crispy” and “Cash Me Out.” Now we’re on to something! Afterwards, SergDun purchased a CD titled, you guessed it One Of The Hardest, which he described as “archived material from ’97-’02.” He then goes on to four of the songs that appear on his eight track CD, all of which appear on Markshot’s playlist. Good then. Inspection of both files suggests that “Back Up” and “Back Up Off Me” are in fact the same songs with the same Ras Kass and Xzibit guest verses. Ditto for “Left Work” and “Less Work.” Or at least the beats and lyrics are the same – they could be different takes for all I know, as the recording quality is much greater on the CD versions.
In any event, the music on these EPs falls far short of the bar Saafir set on Boxcar Sessions, but you probably knew that already. Even if you’re of the belief that Saafir’s more accessible reinvention beginning with Trigonometry was a step in the right direction (and this argument admittedly  has some merit) these EPs are not essential unless you’re a completist. Saafir has rhymed better over iller beats elsewhere, point blank. But this is Saafir, so the EPs are filled with those sublime moments where he just goes the fuck off and says something totally unexpected in his trademark anxious robotic freestyle way. For some this will be reason enough to collect these semi-rarities.
For others who are unconvinced, peep this article from 2007 which explains that the lyrics from the song “One Of The Hardest” comprise a true-to-life account of Saafir’s near brush with death as a survivor of a plane crash: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/03/DDG2JNAD6O1.DTL

Click on cover art to download the mp3s from the CD version
— Thun

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Saafir – One Of The Hardest (Vinyl EP & CD)”

1. Kyu says:

Ok. Thank you for this. What is the name of Saafir song with the video game/atari sample? Man. That was the shit.

2. T.R.O.Y. says:

Kyu, the track you are referring to is called Smart Bomb.

3. Thun says:

Kyu, the track you're talking about is "Smart Bomb" and I included it on my "High Explosives" compilation, which you can peep here: http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2008/10/high-explosives.html

4. Markshot says:

Great and interesting post/story
    :cheers:

5. Werner von Wallenrod says:

::cries that nobody loks at my Hobo Junction discography page even when researching HObo Junction's discography:: hehe
    The CD came out first in 2005, then the vinyl version followed in 2006.

6. Thun says:

Werner – you know ever since you went the blog route I forgot about your site with the many, many completist discographies. I'll be sure to consult it as a reference in the future. Thanks for checking in.

7. Thun says:

And yes Tamberg, I should have checked Discogs as well.

Listen, folks, I pieced it together and that's all that counts, okay?

You know what was really nasty? The "Unreleased Boxcar Sessions" CD that Saafir released with a homemade-looking cover back around '02.

9. Thumpers On Tuck says:

I remember hearing snippets before this dropped, & then being pretty sure that there was at least 1 track missing that sounded really good on the snippets.

was hoping it might’ve been on the VINYL version — no such luck? no different tracks?

ALSO, yeah that Unreleased Sessions tape was the best project he released since the debut.

10. Thumpers On Tuck says:

yup, looks like the last 2 tracks on the vinyl — “The Day” and “Dont Test Me” — aren’t on the CD version (however they arent really that dope):

VINYL VERSION:
    A1 Cash Me Out
    A2 Crispy
    A3 One Of The Hardest [Featuring Golden State]
    A4 Back Up
    B1 Left Work
    B2 Don’t Test Me
    B3 The Day

CD VERSION:
    1. Less Work
    2. Bad Bitch
    3. Touch Somebody (ft Xzibit)
    4. Splash
    5. It’s Official
    6. Scandlez Ho’s
    7. King Sizzle
    8. Back Up Off Me (ft Xzibit & Ras Kass)

GOOD GAME – THE TRANSITION:
    12. The Technology [Featuring Nicaracci]
    13. Daddy’s L.G. [Featuring Lady]
    14. Hey Baby
    15. I Hafto
    16. Interview #4
    17. Jihad [Featuring Amir Suliaman]

THE LINK TO THE CD VERSION IS DOWN, BY THE WAY, & DOESN’T APPEAR TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET. I CHECKED THORO.

11. Isaiah says:

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

12. Ellsworth says:

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

13. Cute Quotes says:

Thank you so much for discussing this info, I bookmarked this webpage. I’m also attempting to find details around best quotes, have you any idea where I can find something such as that? I will be back in the future!

14. Hiya! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. Many thanks!

15. Hello there, what do you really feel around double glazed upvc sash windows? Extremely great topic, right?

16. karaj says:

The next time I learn a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my option to learn, but I actually thought youd have something fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you may fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

17. Thanks for discussing this info, I saved the website. I am additionally seeking details regarding Arvind Pandit Kansas, have you any idea exactly where I could find one thing like that? I’ll return very soon!

18. I was conversing with a buddy of mine about this and about towelroot too. I think you made a number of very good points in this article, we’re also looking forward to read more information from you.