25Feb/0915

The Mandolindley Road Show (Paul C. McKasty)

I know what some of you are thinking right about now. You’re saying to yourself what in the hell is this crap and why is it on my beloved T.R.O.Y. blog?

Sit back and let me drop some science for ya’ll. While this might not be classified as hip-hop and for many it won’t exactly be your brand of flavor either, this right here is HISTORY.

Back in November of ’08 we blessed you with Paul C. Lives, an extensive journey into the musical genius of the late great Paul C. McKasty. For those not in the know, Paul C. was a member of the group Mikey D & the L.A. Posse. He also played mentor to Large Professor by schooling him on on how to use the SP-12 drum machine/sampler. When Paul passed, Large Pro took over production duties on much of the music Paul was working on before his death. Large Pro later created his owns publishing company, which is fittingly named Paul Sea Productions.

Large Professor wasn’t the only producer Paul influenced, as both DJ Premier and Pete Rock cite Paul C as an influence as well. In addition he also worked with Eric B. & Rakim, Grandmaster Caz, Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud and Stezo to name a few and was responsible for Organized Konfusion‘s (then Simply Too Positive) first demo tape that helped land them a deal with Hollywood Basic.

Out of all of his accomplishments, Paul is probably best known for his work on Ultramagnetic MC’s classic debut album Critical Beatdown. His involvement in this album, as well as his lasting legacy in hip hop, is extensively documented in Dave Tompkins’ article “Travelling At The Speed Of Thought.”

Paul C. began his musical career as a bassist for the pop rock band The Mandolindley Road Show. After the group disbanded, Paul started producing for many hip-hop acts, and because he preferred to work without contracts, he often did not receive credit for his production.

Tragically in ’89 Paul C was found shot to death in Rosedale, Queens, at the age of 24 . His murder was featured on America’s Most Wanted, which lead to the arrest of Derrick “Little Shine” Blair, who was later released due to lack of evidence. The case has yet to be solved.

Today we remember Paul as the fun-loving guy, rap legend and talented musician as we showcase his first group, The Mandolindley Road Show.

The Mandolindley Road Show

(Stuart Rifkin, Lindley Farley, Paul C. McKasty)

Click Here To Download Album

01 Original Man
02 Contrary
03 Medicine
04 You Taught Me Well
05 To Different People, You’re Different Things
06 The Arms Of Danger
07 First To Fight
08 Sentimental Stranger
09 Older Women
10 I’ve Got A Hatchet
11 The Three Cavaliers
12 Graduation
13 Fare-Thee-Well

Here is the groups first video shot in 1985.

Rehearsing at JB Studios in Long Island in June 1985.

Special thanks to our friend Nathan Smart and Mandolindley’s lead Lindley Farley for making this post come to fruition. –Philaflava

R.I.P.
Paul C. McKasty

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “The Mandolindley Road Show (Paul C. McKasty)”

1. T.R.O.Y. says:

R.I.P. Paul C.

One interesting thing about the video footage is that Paul really seemed like down to earth, super-cool cat, just as he is described by most people who knew him.

Damned shame he had to go but at least his legacy runs deep.

2. nathansmart says:

I know! How fun was it to be in the studio with a guy like that? Lord knows recording can get very boring without the right personalities…

wow!!!

paul c was the man rip

5. Markshot says:

great and interesting post!

6. asciigod says:

Agree with Markshot. This here is a well put together piece of blogojournalism. Props. Seriously!

the 3 cavaliers is is a wild vid!

paul c was gifted thanks you god to creat him
    he give a lot love and technics to hip hop
    whitout him the evolution mix in studio should be average.
    but him and ced gee large pro and dj tootuff learn a lot producer how used correctly the emu sp 1200 …

peace the street gradu8

9. Quinn says:

you’re in reality a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a fantastic job on this topic!

10. Roma says:

I wanted to draft you the little bit of note just to thank you so much once again for your personal striking information you’ve documented in this case. It was unbelievably generous with people like you to give extensively what exactly a number of us would’ve marketed for an e book to get some dough on their own, most importantly considering the fact that you could possibly have tried it if you ever decided. Those things likewise served like the great way to be certain that someone else have similar eagerness the same as my personal own to understand many more in regard to this issue. I believe there are several more fun periods up front for many who go through your blog post.

11. There’s great developments on the structure of this webpage, I honestly like it. My own is on the subject of aptoide apk android and now there are quite a lot of things to do, I’m currently a newcomer in web page design. Be careful!

12. Hello there, you’re absolutely right. I frequently read your posts thoroughly. I’m furthermore fascinated with lic policy details, you might write about that at times. I will be back.

13. Winston says:

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again

14. Gene says:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful web site.

15. Bethann says:

certainly like your web site but you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll definitely come back again.