23Feb/0918

XXL: Nas Illmatic, 15 Years Later

When was the last time you bought a hip-hop magazine? Basically, I never buy new hip-hop magazines but I had to make an exception for the new XXL April 2009 Issue. In the beginning of this month when the magazine cover was revealed, I noticed that there was going to be an article commemorating the 15th Anniversary of Nas‘s Classic 1994 LP “Illmatic“. With subtitles of DJ Premier, Large Pro, Pete Rock, & Q-Tip, I knew that it was going to be worth the reading.

Yesterday, after copping the issue, I immediately skipped to the “Illmatic” article. I was stunned by seeing these old hi-res ’94 pictures of Nas; there’s a picture of Premier, Large Pro, Faith, Nas, Q-Tip, & L.E.S in the studio. I would like to thanks Timmotep Aku, Carl Chery, Clover Hope, Rob Markman, Starrene Rhett, Anslem Samuel for taking a trip down to memory lane and compiling a classic article on a perfect album. Below are all the representers who each took their time to talk on the making-of of their incredible work on the track which they appeared on. This isn’t something that you’ve seen before, you will learn a lot of new trivia… Below that is the scan of the article.

Representers

Download 9-Pages Scan (Hi-Res)

Make sure to support this issue by buying it at your local bookstore. This is the type of issue that will truly become a collectible. There are other noteworthy articles included in the issue that are worth reading after “Illmatic.”

— Thomas V

Editor’s Note: Don’t forget to grab today’s other exclusive: Rakim “The Cellar EP”.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “XXL: Nas Illmatic, 15 Years Later”

1. T.R.O.Y. says:

This is definitely a great read, and an excellent resource/artifact. Thanks Thomas. You saved me $5 and a walk to the Ay-Rab store.

2. Krisch says:

Some months ago I decided to no longer buy the XXL, now i gotta make an exception i think.

They also had similar articles on "Reasonable Doubt" and DMX' 1st album that were also good reads

3. blackgirlnamedbecky says:

I read the article from the actual magazine (I still subscribe to some). You're right – it is great, but why bother saying "support" XXL if you've SCANNED the whole thing? Why not scan, say the first 2 pages, and let your readers in fact support the mag. Just saying.

4. Thun says:

Blackgirlnamedbecky – because to be quite frank, nobody gives a flying fuck about that magazine, as they have been on a downward slide in terms of quality and profitability for half a decade. Just because they occasionally attempt to put together a quality piece doesn't mean we should have to shell out 4 bucks for their now-emaciated shit rag. Too little, too late from them. If there are people out there who are so enamored with the article and the magazine, a pdf file won't suffice, so they;ll buy it anyway. I would be willing to bet we gave these hacks more sales than we took away.

5. Phila says:

I'm one of those people that ran to the store to cop it after we published the blog. Then I realize the magazine was chopped in half and has nothing to offer other than those 4 pages. Nas wasn't even on the cover so for $5 am I gonna buy it? I decided against it.

The thing is I wouldn't have ever thought about copping it or even had that motivation to go to the store and pick it up if not for our article on it. A page is not worth $1.25 in this economy.

Yeah, I would not have even checked for that XXL had it not been for the T.R.O.Y. post about it. After reading, I immediately went to the store and copped it, just to have the physical copy.

7. Isidro says:

whoah this blog is excellent i love reading your posts. Keep up the good work! You know, a lot of people are hunting around for this info, you can aid them greatly.

8. Tomeka says:

As a Newbie, I am constantly exploring online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you

9. Hey, you are certainly right. I always look over your articles attentively. I’m also curious about braun electric shavers, maybe you could talk about this from time to time. I will be back soon!

10. You’re absolutely correct. I really liked looking through this info and I will return for more soon. Our website is on the subject of router access, you might check it out if you are interested in that.

11. Thanks a ton for sharing this info, I bookmarked the page. I’m additionally interested in information around homework app, have you any idea where I might come across something like this? I will be back very soon!

12. Hey there, you are absolutely right. I constantly read through your site content carefully. I am furthermore considering best desktop computer, maybe you might write about this occasionally. Have a nice day.

13. You’re totally right, I’d really like to discover more info on that issue! I am also interested in windows desktop computer since I feel it truly is very unique right now. Keep it up!

14. click here says:

I was speaking to a good friend of mine on this info and regarding shillong teer dream number too. I do think you made a number of very good points in this case, we’re also excited to read more stuff from you.

15. There are terrific improvements on the style of this blog, I honestly like it. Mine is relating to lucky patcher app and now there are quite a lot of stuff to be done, I’m yet still a rookie in webpage design. Take good care!

16. I constantly look over your posts closely. I’m furthermore fascinated by medical negligence, perhaps you might discuss this sometimes. See ya!

17. Hey. I just noticed this page and I honestly like it. I like to focus on omega xl review at times. Good to be around, bless you!

18. Thanks a lot for discussing this, I saved the website. I’m additionally attempting to find tips on garageband download, do you know where I could discover a thing like that? I will be back in a little while!