Top 10 Songs That Made Me Feel Proud To Be From Strong Island
photo credit: Jerry Woodson Sr.
1. “Strong Island” by JVC FORCE (For Obvious Reasons Concerning Entertainment). “Living In C. I. Who The Hell Am I…” (Big Up to B Luv and Curt Cazal).
2. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back & Fear of a Black Planet albums by Public Enemy. I know this was suppose to be songs but their entire body of work had my proud to be from Strong Island.
3. “My Melody” by Eric B & Rakim. Too many Ra joints to name one but the most memorable lines were.. “I take 7 MC’s put em in a line/ And add 7 more brothas who think they can rhyme/ Well, it’ll take 7 more before I go for mine/ And that’s 21 MC’s ate up at the same time.”
4. “Nobody Beat the Biz” by Biz Markie. The song title says it all, cause no body beat the Biz in what he did and shout to T.J. Swan also from C.I. (Central Islip).
5. “It’s My Thing/ You’re A Customer” by EPMD. The first to really used that funk on the East Coast.
6. “Most Beautifullest Thing” by Keith Murray. I was proud to see one of the younger cats around my way hold it down.
7. “Plug Tunin'” by De La Soul. The creativity and boldness not to do what everyone else was doing.
8. “Flava In Ya Ear” by Craig Mack. Who don’t love the remix with Biggie, LL, Busta and Rampage?
9. “Spellbound” by K. Solo. Again proud to see my dude I grew up with and went to school with get his shine)
10. “Case Of The P.T.A” & “Sobb Story” by Leaders Of The New School. Brought back the days of Cold Crush and Treacherous 3 in their songs, routines and stage performances.
Honorable Mentions: “Mahogany” – Eric B & Rakim (one of my favorite joints from Ra as well), “Get Retarded” – MC EZ and Troop (early, early Craig Mack- shout to DJ Diamond J), Basement Arrangements (the entire album) by Kemelions (also from C.I. if you don’t know this one look it up 1992 Zoo Records- This is hip-hop).
Those born In Strong Island who I was proud to see shine: LL Cool J (Bay Shore), DMC (Wyandanch), Method Man (Westbury & Hempstead), Prince Paul (The creator of the Skit, what more can I say from Amityville), Prodigy (Hempstead), just to name a few who held it down….
Radio Shows that made me proud to be from Strong Island– Wildman Steve WBAU Adelphi Univ, Garden City and Jeff Foss (Hofstra Univ- Hempstead)
Writer who made me proud to be from Strong Island and made wanna write– Harry Allen The Hip-Hop Media Assasin (Yo Harry, you’re a writer, are we that type? Don’t believe the hype Don’t believe the hype )
Big up to everyone who ever did, and still holds it down for Strong Island!!!
check out for my new book available for online sales on Election Day, Tuesday, November 4th… SPIRITUAL MINDED: da daily devotion for da hip-hop generation http://www.lulu.com/content/2830182 SPIRITUAL MINDED II comin soon, I’m writing it as we speak!!!